Here are some tips to prevent morning sickness and backaches during pregancy.
• Eat many small meals throughout the day to avoid an empty stomach
• Eat simple snacks or soda crackers 15 minutes before getting out of bed in the morning
• Eat whatever you feel like eating, whenever you feel you can
• Keep yourself well-hydrated with small sips of water throughout the day
• Use hot or cold packs to alleviate backache but never apply direct heat on the abdomen
• Exercise regularly to strengthen the back muscles
• Get fresh air. A walk or an open window might ease your nausea
• Maintain proper posture to relieve the strain on the spine
• Don't lie down after eating, as it can slow digestion and cause reflux
• Don't slouch, as it puts pressure on the spine; wearing a support belt helps
• Don't skip meals
• Don't ignore severe pain over an extended period of time
• Don't cook or eat hot and spicy food
• Don't consume food that over-stimulates your sense of smell
Photo courtesy of Thinkstock. This article first appeared in NATURA magazine issue No.12.